Thursday, May 21

Stolen Motorboat Used in Assault on Cuba, Four Killed

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Here’s a follow up to a story we ran a few weeks ago about an assault on Cuba by 10 Cuban-Americans based in Florida that ended in a shootout with Cuban border patrol officers and the death of four of the men.  It turns out, the  24-foot fishing boat the men used to cross the Florida Strait was stolen.

Angel Montera, who owned the 24-foot boat, got a call from an international news organization to ask him if he knew anything about the raid on Cuba and shootout. He did not but when he checked is marina slip, he discovered that his boat was missing.

He also discovered a 2026 white pickup truck at the marina that belong to Hector Cruz Correra, a man who had been doing tile work him. Montera reported hus boat missing and informed police about Correra’s truck.

Montera only learned later, that Correra was one of the men killed during the raid.

According to the police report a neighbor who lived next to the Big Pine marina and knew Montera told police that she had seen a man in a white truck board the 24-footer late in the afternoon and drive it away. She said she found this odd because she knew M ontera never went out this late in the day.

The international incidernt is still under investigation by both U.S. and Cuban authorities and is only heightened by the ongoing confrontation between the two countries and the current U.S. oil embargo.

Read more here.

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply